Posts Tagged 'Ballard Designs'

Decor 101: My Ballard Design Artwork Knock Off

SO I got my latest issue of Ballard Designs and saw these beautiful paintings

Ballard Designs, Custom Soliloquy Giclee Prints (Photo from Ballard Designs)

…and just so happened to have two blank, waiting to be painted panels just sitting around from some past projects.  So the little artist in me was itching to get out and I decided, what the heck, why not.  I don’t mind saving some money and I could really use some new artwork for the living room above the couches and I just loved these paintings from Ballard.

The end result is definitely different than theirs, but I’m loving how the artwork came out.  They look so much better in person, but I couldn’t get my white balance quite perfect so the pictures look a little yellower than I would like and a lot of he detail got lost.  Oh well.

Ballard Knock Offs

Decor 101: NEW Artful Repurpose of a Cabinet Door

SO back here I repurposed a cabinet door into a delightful typographical piece of art reminiscent of what you would find at Pottery Barn and Ballard designs.  And just recently took two more of the doors from that old entertainment center and made this headboard… so with the last cabinet door I made one final piece of artwork.  John & Sherry at YoungHouseLove inspired me to try printing the art and adhering it to the surface instead of painting it…and here are the results after sanding, painting, glueing, waiting, some artistic additions thanks to my favorite minwax stain, and a tad more sanding:

The lighting is making it look a tad more shiny than I would like, but I love how it turned out!

Next to the bed....notice the same colored walls throughout the house...can't wait to add color!!!

Can’t wait to show you all what new storage solutions I added to the Master bath yesterday….courtesy of a nice day outside (at last)!  Also have some other great projects coming up that I recently finished.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

I’m linking this to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land:

Do It Yourself Day

Enjoy all the creative projects over there! 🙂

Wish List: DIY Block Letters: Success!

So its about time I had something fun to post, I’ve only been telling you about projects that I’ve been working on,  but nothing to show.  Well this little project was occupying my time in between coats on the armoire ( I know still not finished but after my 3rd 4th coat and still needing more paint) and trips to find baskets to fit in the right places.  But this is something I’ve been eyeing for awhile now, I’m so glad it is finished and I can’t wait to show you how it turned out!!

I was so excited with the results, and outside of drying time was easy peasy.  First, a look at what it began as, a door off of the entertainment repurpose project, cost ($0).

Before the wood filler....

Then I filled the holes in with wood filler (already had $0), sanded it down, and added a coat of primer (already had $0)….

Wood filler had dried, all sanded down, I then added Primer after I took this picture

….and several coats of heirloom white (alread had $0).

I found an “&” that I liked in my font library, blew it up, printed it off, cut it out and then traced it on the center. And then I painted it in a tinted black acrylic.  After everything dried I got my sandpaper out and went to town on the edges, distressing the heck out of it.  Then I pulled out some minwax stain I had left from our floor project and added little discoloration in spots.  I think the thing that made this project such a success was distressing the actual letter and making it look worn too.  I’m just so happy with how it turned out.  If you want to protect this piece, I would suggest putting a coat of poly/sealant to make sure that all the goodness you worked so hard on stays exactly where you want, but it’s certainly not necessary.  Love this piece, and you can’t beat $0.

Here she is! In a temporary home until we get our Ikea Lack shelves hung

Stay tuned for the armoire reveal, I really think I will have it finished soon.  I FINALLY found two baskets that fit, so that will help make this armoire project a reality!  So far I’ve spent a little money on paint, and hardware, totalling about $13 and I only spent $12 on the baskets so I will have a completed piece for only $25, I’m already in love with this piece and I cannot wait to show you all its final look! Have a  great week ( I won’t be posting much with the Holidays)!

I’m linking this to Metamorphosis Monday, so head on over there to check out other great transformations!


Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 6 other followers

Browse Our Posts by Category

Blog Stats

  • 22,088 hits